Monday, May 21, 2007

saying thanks

There was a great story on the news last night. A local county here in Minnesota raised money to send all its WWII veterans on a 1 day trip to Washington DC to visit the WWII memorial.

For many of them, it was their first trip to the Country’s Capital, for most of them, it will be their last. When they returned home from War over 50 years ago, there was no grand parade for them in rural Minnesota. Instead, they returned to their families, and tended to their daily routines again. These men and woman who crossed the ocean to protect those who could no longer protect themselves, to fight hatred and tyranny, to do what they thought was their duty, got little more than a pat on the back. Now, over a half century later, they’re finally getting a tribute---the flight of a lifetime to see a memorial in honor of all the courageous men and woman who served in WWII. When the vets returned to MN, a high school choir greeted them at the airport, singing our national anthem, and naturally the vets joined in. Then to top it off, as their 2 hour bus trip from the twin cities came into town, the streets were lined with hundreds of cheering people and American Flags, finally getting the grand parade they deserved so many years ago.
The reason I’m relaying this story to you, is this: Before we lose our last vets of WWII, thank them. Thank them for standing up for what was right. Thank them for finally stopping genocide in concentration camps. Thank them for stopping the further spread of oppression. Thank them for helping lift this country out of it’s deepest ever economic depression. I didn’t realize until last night that I had never thanked my Grandpa. I’ve heard his many stories, but never taken the time to say, Thank You.

With Memorial day around the corner, Thank a WW II vet. If you don’t know one personally, The local VWF or nursing home would be glad to direct you to one I’m sure!

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love your blog today! Our band (did you know I played in a band?) Anyway....our band gets together and plays at the VFW once a month for free. We have a blast watching those folks get down:)

May 24, 2007  
Blogger Nancywithajones said...

OHHH this is so beautiful. I miss you so much girly. I had lost your blog when i had to reload all my stuff and i hit latonyas today and voilaaa I thanked my lucky stars so HERE I POST.
MISS YA SMOOOCHIESSSSSS Love ya mean it!

May 29, 2007  
Blogger Nancywithajones said...

psssssssst.. you gonna update? you know i miss ya hehe smoochies

June 08, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Clicky Web Analytics